The pre-paid Terriers Funeral Plan from Avalon means the club’s supporters can make their funeral a celebration of their life as a Huddersfield Town fan.
Costing £4,195, fans will receive from the plan:
- a coffin in Huddersfield Town colours and Club Crest or traditional quality veneered coffin with home shirt and name printed on the back
- a blue and white floral football bouquet with condolence card from Huddersfield Town
- the club song, Smile Awhile, played at the funeral service
- free hire of the Radcliffe Suite function room at the PPG Canalside sports complex for the wake (catering not included)
- ashes scattered around the pitch at the club’s John Smith’s Stadium
- announcement at a Huddersfield Town home game and mention in the match day programme
- funeral director services required to conduct the funeral
Speaking of the new initiative, Sean Jarvis, commercial director at Huddersfield Town, said: ‘While many funerals remain quite traditional, some are increasingly becoming a celebration of life, and that includes sporting interests, and we are often asked if people can use our branding in one form or another. It’s still a bit of a taboo subject but there’s no reason why that should be. The only certain things in life are death and taxes and the sooner we start planning the better. Our commercial deal means the club receives a benefit from plans sold so even when Town fans pass on they can leave a small legacy to the club.’
Paul Wilson, head of business development at Avalon, said: ‘It’s not uncommon for a person’s love of their football club to feature at their funeral, and many clubs are happy to scatter a supporter’s ashes on or close to their pitch. With the Terriers Funeral Plan, however, we’ve created the UK’s first fully themed funeral service celebrating the life of a fan. With this innovative new plan, we’re giving people the opportunity to combine the love of their team with the benefits of a pre-paid funeral.’
To launch the Terriers Funeral Plan, Avalon and Huddersfield Town have released a YouTube video featuring Bill Shankly’s famous quote, ‘Football isn’t a matter of life and death – it’s more important than that.’
Avalon protects customers from rising funeral costs and their loved ones from the worry of arranging a funeral when the time comes. Avalon funeral plans are also available in Spain, Portugal, Tenerife, Cyprus, Malta and Turkey.
For further information or to receive the full Terriers Funeral Plan brochure, visit www.terriersfuneralplan.co.uk or call Avalon on 0330 333 6318.