Communities in Renfrewshire will be supported with the cost of a loved one’s funeral, thanks to a new service from Renfrewshire Council and several local funeral homes.
Renfrewshire Council revealed it is closely working with local funeral directors to provide a ‘Respectful Funeral Service’, which enables families to access a tailored funeral package that is “dignified, professional and affordable”.
Designed to remove any unnecessary pressures after the loss of a loved one, the package will offer savings of up to 63% on the Scottish average cost of a funeral.
The Respectful Funeral Service package includes:
- Collection of the deceased from within Renfrewshire or any NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde property
- Care and preparation of the deceased
- A choice of coffin ranging from light or dark wood effect, or environmental.
- A place of rest and viewing facilities
- A hearse and one family car
- Arrangements on the day of the funeral
- Additional services can also be provided and can be discussed with the funeral director directly.
Councillor Cathy McEwan, convener of Renfrewshire Council’s infrastructure, land and environment policy board, said: “Losing a loved one is an extremely difficult time and we want to remove the pressures for people, such as cost, as best we possibly can.
“This new service provides comfort for people as they have the guarantee of a dignified and professional funeral, but one which also remains affordable for their family. We want to provide our support for our communities at the most difficult of times and this new service takes away some of the burden involved and allows them to focus on celebrating the life of the loved one they have lost.”
Seven partners have agreed to be part of the new service and will offer a Respectful Funeral Service to Renfrewshire residents.
- Silver Rose Funeral Directors
- Kenneth Keegan Independent Funeral Directors
- John Roach Funeral Directors
- D Moodie & Co Funeral Directors
- Beaton Brothers Independent Funeral Directors
- Co-op Funeralcare
- Fosters Funeral Directors
Prices for each funeral director will vary, but all said to be designed to be below the Scottish average cost for a funeral.
Councillor Marie McGurk added: “I’m delighted that this service is now in place for our residents as it will allow friends and families to focus on celebrating the life of their loved one, rather than the cost of their funeral.
“The service will be at an affordable cost, but with the assurance that it will be of a high standard and it’s great that we can help to provide this for our residents in Renfrewshire.”